Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fool's Day

So I was wondering when April Fool's Day began. How did it get started? And what is the purpose of devoting a whole day to fooling or playing practical jokes on people?

A co-worker of mine thought it would be really funny to set up a fog machine behind one or our copiers. I work at a wholesale pen company and we have a little retail store and copy shop - more as a convenience to our neighbors than to make money. So one of our very regular really nice customer comes in a starts making a bunch of copies. D-turns on his machine and smoke starts rising from behind the machine. This poor woman who is in her late 70's early 80's starts yelling that there is a fire. D-thought this was so funny - I on the other hand thought it was mean. He hasn't done this for the last few years but today he pulled the stupid thing out and set it up. He is all upset cause we have only had 1 customer and he wasn't here to pull his prank - darn (hee hee).
I might also add that D is the owners son - so he can do this stuff and not get fired.

I have always thought that playing a joke on someone - especially to scare the bejesus out of someone is not funny. Now I love watching America's Funniest videos but I don't appreciate the practical jokes. An example comes to mind of a young man whose Mom is turning 50, I think, apparently works the 2nd shift or something. She is coming home at 4am and he is hiding in the garage in a Grim Reaper costume. I swear I think he took 10 years off her life and I am sure she probably peed in her pants. That is just not funny.

What do you think are practical jokes funny? And why do we devote a whole day to the practice?

2 comments:

meb said...

Margo... I agree...Playing jokes on someone is just not right. The one that comes to my mind from AFV is where someone fixes a lottery ticket to make it appear someone has won a large sum of money.

The person always seem to laugh when they find out it wasn't real. I think it's cruel and I would not be laughing when they revealed the "joke"!

Margo said...

Oh I hate that one too. Thanks for visiting MEB. I thought it was funny that both Margaret's got eliminated from our DWTS pool on the same day. Interesting.
Margo