Monday, April 20, 2009

Yea It's Spring!

Yea I think spring is here to stay. My daffodils are about finished. But my Columbines have little buds as do the Tree Peonies and the regular Peonies. The Anemonies and Bleeding Hearts are blooming. The early blooming purple Irises have lots of buds.

I have a new sunny garden to fill up this year. I lost a BIG tree and my Hostas begged to be moved last fall. They are all peeking out of the ground in their new homes. I bought a bunch of new Iris last fall at a big end of the season sale at Missouri Botanical Gardens. It is really fun - The Iris Society members come in and divide the plants that need it and thry also bring their own plants. I've planted them in little clumps throughout the garden. I have LOTS more room so I've been shopping. I'm planning a hummingbird/butterfly garden so I've already got some Coreopsis, Blue Salvia, Trumpet Fuchsia, Bellflowers, Veronica.

This weekend it rained off and on Saturday and ALL day Sunday. So I just went out and bought more flowers. I'm planning on working next weekend in the yard. The only downside is it is going to be in the 80's which is a little warm for me but we will see how it goes.

I have lots of different gardens in my yard but I've never had a sunny garden. I have shade and part shade but this one gets sun almost all day. This is going to be so much fun - but expensive.

Now if I can just figure out how to keep the bunnies out of my garden.

7 comments:

Sydney said...

Hey Margo--

It all sounds beautiful. And like it might be some work, but work you enjoy. What happened to make you lost your big tree? Storms?

Margo said...

We had some really high winds-lots of storms and rain last spring and I noticed that the tree in this garden had moved. The roots were pushed up some and the tree seemed to be tilting. The tree was very tall and looked as if it were to fall it would hit my house. After consulting with a tree guy it was decided to remove the tree because the damage to the huge trees in my front yard as well as my house was not worth the risk.
So now I have a fun new garden project. When Mom and I explained to the people at the iris sale that we had all this new sunny space they were sooo jealous.

Thanks for visiting Sydney.

Margo

Sydney said...

Hey, at least there's an upside! Marge said that her irises gave off a nice scent. I hadn't been aware that they did, though I've only bought them cut in flower stores. You'll have to let me know.

Laurie said...

Margo, your spring blooming sounds so lovely. Will you be sharing pictures with us? I do love seeing other people's gardens!

Isn't a new garden area exciting?

Sydney said...

lol Margo (groan) I hit publish and the WHOLE thing, including two mini-movies got lost in cyberspace. I didn't know that just the title got published so thanks for drawing my attention to it.

meb said...

As Sydney noted Margo... I can walk by my Iris blooms and smell them. They almost smell like a gardenia.

It's a shame they don't last very long. My azaleas were gorgeous this year, but unfortunately they're already gone.

Waiting for new flowers to appear.

Debbie Turner said...

Hi Margo,
Thanks for visiting my blog. And now here I am on yours. I must say, I LOVE your sense of humor! I am laughing at many of your very funny posts!